Whenever we speak about core workouts, we usually think of training our abs. You might know those muscles that help in creating six or eight-pack abs. But we all forget that abs include plenty of different muscles, and it’s very important to train each of them- it doesn’t matter whether you are trying to get stronger or you want to get visible muscle definition. That’s why today we will discuss the best oblique exercises that will help you achieve your goals.
The core helps us maintain a perfect body posture so that we can perform tonnes of exercises without straining or injuring our back muscles, but the oblique, in particular, has a different and important role; they are the muscles that run along the side of the waist, from hip bones to the rib. We use those muscles whenever we bend down to one side or twist our torsos, and the oblique protects our torsos from getting injured. Our professionals have worked hard, and they have penned down a few best oblique exercises to perform them and stay fit and avoid injuries.
If you are the one who is browsing the internet in search of a few best oblique exercises, then this article is perfect for you, as it contains every piece of information about it. But before we move on to the list of best oblique exercises, we would love to discuss the benefits of performing oblique exercises.
Why Perform The Best Oblique Exercises?
- An entire packet of core workout
- Strengthens the core and also increases pain resistance power
- Helps in improving balance and stability.
1. Side Planks
This is one of the easiest and one of the best oblique exercises. This exercise targets only the oblique, but it also includes core, shoulder, and hips muscles.
- Start on your side with your feet kept on the top of the other one and your lower forearm exactly below your shoulder.
- Now with the help of your core, raise your hips until and unless your body is in a straight line.
- Try and hold this position for 30 seconds without letting your hips fall, then repeat the same for training the other side.
- You can also make this exercise challenging by transferring this exercise to side plank dips. You have to be in the side plank position and then drop your hips and raise them back to the starting position. Perform 12 reps for each set.
2. Russian Twist
The Russian twist is the second-best oblique exercise; it covers the entire core and gives additional pressure on the oblique.
- Sit on the floor, keeping your legs in front of you, bent your knees, and your heels should be touching the floor; your back’s position should be at a 45-degree angle to the floor. Hold a medicine ball with both hands.
- Before performing this exercise, make sure you keep your back straight, hold the ball close to your torso, and twist it left and right.
- Perform two sets of this exercise, and each set includes 25 reps.
3. Trunk Rotation
This is the best oblique exercise for beginners, and this workout is also great for the core, and it targets both the oblique and the upper body.
- You should be in a high plank position involving your core. Keep on squeezing your butt from the starting till the ending.
- Bring your left knee under your body towards your opposite elbow by slightly twisting your torso. Imagine that if you are performing side-to-side mountain climbing, then it will be easy for you.
- Change the hand and the leg for training the other part.
Apart from these three exercises, we have also mentioned a few exercises that involve the oblique.
- Sit-ups to twist
- Forward lunges with a rotation
The Bottom Line
We have mentioned a few best oblique exercises to make it easy for people who aren’t going to the gym. If you are the one who is working out for gaining muscles, then you also have to focus on your diet. As we all know, diet is more important than a workout. If you are a beginner, make sure that you perform under your coach’s guidance to avoid back injury.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which one is considered the best oblique exercise?
Every individual workout has its benefit, but if you are a beginner, you should take advice from your trainer or any professionals.
2. Will I get abs by performing these exercises?
You won’t get abs by performing these exercises, as it only strengthens the core. You can get love handles by doing this exercise.
3. How many days should I work out in a week?
It depends on your mood, but it will be good if you work out at least thrice a week.