Have you ever thought that your physical image directly impacts your mind and self-esteem? You can achieve toned and robust arms through dumbbell arm workouts. However, you would be able to feel an uplift in your self-confidence when your physique looks fantastic. Moreover, many tangible health benefits are associated with working out on arm muscles.
Having solid and flexible arm muscles can help you in your daily activities like pushing, lifting heavy weights, pulling, etc. Besides this, you can avoid the risk of severe injuries when you get strong muscles. A simple dumbbell workout routine can give you desirable results. Let us look at which dumbbell exercises are the best for your arms.
Variations Of Dumbbell Arm Workouts
There are mainly two types of dumbbells on the market – adjustable ones and fixed ones. Most of the gyms have selected dumbbells where you get a variety of dumbbells of different weights. If you are into home workouts, it is advisable to go for adjustable dumbbells. You have to remove or place the weight plates depending on your stamina and strength.
1. Palms – Up Wrist Curl
Wrist curls are a significant part of the workout routine that often gets neglected. People many times come up with gripping issues and weaker wrists. It is one of the best dumbbell arm workouts known for stronger wrists. Flexibility in the wrists encourages gripping efficiency and helps in many sports activities. Palms-up wrist curl is a variation of the original dumbbell exercise.
To perform a palm-up wrist curl, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Take a 5 or 10-pound dumbbell (it is always good, to begin with, with lighter weights).
- Sit back straight on the bench with your knees perpendicular to the floor.
- Hold the dumbbells and rest the forearms on the thighs. Your palms should hover on the edge of the knees.
- Gradually curl the weights upward and return to the original position.
2. Concentration Curls
Have you ever heard of premier exercises for arms? No. Here we introduce you to the premier bicep exercise, Concentration curls. It is another form of a dumbbell arm workout, where the biceps get more tension than the rest of the arms. It is an isolation exercise known for increasing bicep hypertrophy. As a result, the biceps receive more pressure than the original bicep curl workout.
The best way to perform concentration curls is as follows:
- Sit on a bench with your feet slightly away. Bend forward a little bit.
- Place your left elbow on the inside portion of your left thigh and pick up a dumbbell.
- Ensure that your palm is facing in an upward direction.
- Gradually, curl up the dumbbell towards your shoulder.
- Hold back the position for 10 seconds and return to the original place.
- After completing one set for your left arm, begin the same process with your right arm.
3. Triceps Kickback
Do you wish to beef up your upper body, especially your upper arms? Then why wait? Include tricep kickbacks in your workout routine today. As one of the dumbbell arm workouts, tricep kickback effectively strengthens your back. When your tricep muscles stay strong, the other forces will not have to pick up the slack. Tricep kickback is an exercise that focuses on building the flexibility of your upper arms for daily activities.
To perform tricep kickbacks, follow the step-by-step instruction mentioned underneath:
- Stand straight with dumbbells in your hands.
- Your arms should be upright, and your palms should face each other.
- Lean forward a little bit on your waist and bend down your knees slightly.
- Straighten your arms and finish the dumbbells behind you. Exhale while taking the dumbbells back.
- Hold back the position for a few seconds and return to the original place.
4. Chest Press
Improvement in endurance is something we all look forward to. The upper body muscles are the most active muscles when it comes to performing chores. However, there are many dumbbell arm workouts available, but the chest press is the best exercise for improving the stability and flexibility of the upper body muscles. It directly targets your triceps, deltoids, and pectorals to make them strong.
Here are the steps to perform the most effective chest press exercise:
- Lie down on the floor with your feet flat.
- Ensure that your palms face the floor.
- Hold the dumbbells in both hands and bend the elbows at a 90-degree angle, making your arms perpendicular to the floor.
- Place the dumbbells slightly wider than the chest and inhale.
- While exhaling, push the dumbbells against the trunk, straightening your arms.
- Wait for a few seconds and come back to the perpendicular position.
5. Lateral Raise
Fond of broad shoulders? Introduce lateral raise to your workout regimen. It is a functional shoulder movement that promotes strengthening the upper head of deltoid muscles. It is a form of dumbbell arm workout where you can develop more robust, flexible, and broader shoulders. Moreover, if you perform the exercise correctly, you will be able to feel the difference in your core muscles, upper back, and neck. After a few sets, you might feel the strain, but gradually it shall become normal.
To perform lateral raises, abide by the undermentioned steps:
- Stand upright with dumbbells in each hand.
- Slightly bend your elbows and keep the palms facing the body.
- Raise the dumbbells until your arms become parallel to the floor. In other words, you should form the alphabet’ T.’
- Gradually lower down the dumbbell and come back to the starting position.
The Final Takeaway
Working out on your shoulders and arms has many fringe benefits. It increases your muscles’ endurance, power, and strength, helps in toning and increases muscle mass. Moreover, you can also avoid an invitation to major injuries like bone fractures, worn-out ligaments, and many more. Regular exercising can help in protecting your bones and stabilizing the joints.
Dumbbell arm workouts are very effective for building flexibility in your arms. 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions can help you achieve what you desire. However, you should not only focus on your arms. The remaining body parts also require the same undue attention. Besides this, to gear up your workout routine, you can add aerobics for your muscle fitness.