The dumbbell deadlift is just a play on the classic and more-renowned deadlift, where a sportsperson lifts two solid dumbbells all together, which are resting on either side. This exercise is very beneficial as it promotes the working of all core muscles and maintains the body’s proper movement and posture. It also helps in boosting overall body balance. It is no wonder they are one of the most effective exercises to make your body fitter, muscular, and powerful.
Given below are the steps you need to follow to do the dumbbell deadlift exercise properly.
Steps to do dumbbell deadlift effectively:
1. Initially, stand with your legs shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
2. Lift two heavy dumbbells with your palms, totally grasping them as an overhand grip, and clutch them on either side of your body.
3. Now bend your knees and hips and lower your chest until it is parallel to the ground.
4. Let both your arms hang down up ahead of your knees and try to keep your body in a neutral posture. Always remember to lower yourself into position steadily and in an organized manner.
5. Then return to the starting position, standing up straight without changing the posture of your back.
This is known to be one rep.
Variation of Dumbbell Deadlifts:
1. Single-Leg Dumbbell deadlift- This variation of dumbbell deadlift is practised by lifting one leg off the ground and extending it backward.
2. Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift- This category of dumbbell deadlift is done by keeping your legs motionless and lowering the weights so that they are just over the head of your feet.
3. Single-Arm Dumbbell Deadlift- In this version, you have to keep the dumbbell in between your legs while performing motions of push and pull.
1. Improvement in the connection of your mind with your muscle
The dumbbell deadlift is an isolation exercise as it focuses mainly on one muscle joint- the hamstrings. Therefore, this exercise sets its focus mainly on working your hamstrings. As a result, you will be able to lift heavy weights without much chaos, along with increasing tension on your hamstrings.
2. Helps in increasing the mass of your Hamstring and Glute:
Practising this workout will stimulate the fibres of your muscles, hamstrings, and glutes. This helps build your muscle mass to a great extent, which will make your lower part of the body look more defined and help improve your muscle activities.
3. Refining your sportsmanship by enhancing your Athletic performance:
Practising this exercise will boost up your energy levels like never before! It will also refine your body posture and make you fit enough to carry out various sports without any hassle.
Things to keep in mind while performing Dumbbell Deadlift:
1. You should always choose the weights according to your lifting capacity. Do not lift heavy weights as it would lead to injuries and will only damage your body.
2. Always make sure that your back is in a neutral position and not bent, as it may lead to long-term injuries.
3. It is essential to lower your weights properly, following the exact vertical path which you went after while picking them up.
4. You should remember to keep the bar in front of your shin as the more the gap between your shins and the bar, the more will be the risk of lumbar flexion and a slipped disc.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What muscles does dumbbell deadlift work?
Dumbbell Deadlift is mainly concerned with the working of Hamstrings, Gluteus, Maximus, and Quadriceps.
2. What is a good weight to start Deadlifting?
225 lbs weight is considered significant for beginners while 185 lbs are good, and 115 kg are decent.
3. Is it okay to deadlift three times a week?
Yes, it is okay to deadlift three times a week if you are physically fit and active.