Knee pain is one of the most commonly prevalent problems that most people suffer from today. A study shows that men between ages 15% to 20% are severely exposed to knee pain. Although there can be several reasons for knee pain, typically, this occurs due to minimal self-care measures.
If you persistently suffer from this problem, we can help you overcome it permanently. Let us discuss the best knee extension exercises for effective leg work out!
What is knee extension?
Minimal leg movements can cause the leg muscles to weaken thereby causing knee pain. There are many other different reasons why knee pain may occur. Internal injury, torn cartilage and excessive muscle movements are some of the main reasons for this. However, a potential solution can help combat this problem once and forever. Knee extension is thus a knee exercise that is performed by extending the legs while keeping the knees straight. There are several ways to perform knee extension exercises.
Best knee extension exercises to perform right away
1. Standing Terminal Knee Extension
This exercise is designed to improve your quadriceps muscles and boost the functioning of your knees. It also helps your knees to regain their energy and perform day-to-day tasks without much hassle. Standing terminal knee extension is one of the most effective exercises that are very easy to perform. Here’s how to do it.
- Stand with your feet loosely apart and the other feet ahead of the previous.
- Secure your front knee with a resistant band to form tension.
- Slightly bend your knee and extend your knee so that it straightens.
- Bend again and straighten.
- Repeat the process around 10 to 15 times.
2. Seated Knee extension
As the name suggests, this exercise is meant to perform in a sitting position. The workout will enable your knee to regain effectiveness and improve thigh muscles. This knee extension exercise also focuses on improving the overall strength of your knee so that all types of knee pain can be avoided. If you follow the instructions carefully and perform the exercise at least two to three times a day, this exercise is sure to succeed. Here’s how to do it.
- Sit on a chair facing the horizon. Make sure your knees are bent at a right angle.
- Now, raise your right leg and extend the knees.
- Keep stretching it until you reach the terminal knee extension.
- Now, lower your knee slowly.
- Repeat this exercise at least 10 to 15 times.
3. Seated knee extension with resistance band
Similar to the previous exercise, this workout is designed to perform in a sitting position. In this exercise, you must be able to feel all your muscles working out in front of your thighs. The more you lift your foot, the harder you may feel the workout. Make sure that if the band manages to slip, you put your toes through the loop to secure the resistance band to your ankle. Perform this knee extension exercise consistently to gain instant results. Here’s how to do it.
- Sit on a chair and face the horizon. Make sure your legs are at a right angle.
- Now secure a resistance band around your right ankle. Keep the other leg close to the leg of the chair.
- Keep extending your knee until you reach terminal knee extension.
- Now, gradually bring your knee to the ground.
5. Repeat this exercise at least 10 to 15 times.
The bottom line
These were some of the potential knee extension exercises that you can perform for n effective leg workout. Do not forget to follow the instructions carefully and practice the work out consistently.
The measurement of distance that you can physically extend your knee is called terminal knee extension. With terminal knee extension, it becomes easier to focus on your knees, strengthen them and keep them healthy to avoid any further injury. In every exercise that we have mentioned above, this has a massive role to play.
You can perform a forced leg extension if you want more variation. Here’s how to do it.
- Sit on the floor and extend your legs. Make sure the back of your knee is facing the ground.
- Press one knee on the floor for 30 seconds and do the same with another knee alternatively.
- Perform this exercise for around 5 to 20 minutes daily for the desired effect.
Here are some of the primary muscles involved in knee extension muscles workout.
- Quadriceps femoris that consists of vastus lateralis, vastus Medius and vastus intermedius.
- Hamstring muscles that contain biceps femoris, semimembranosus and semitendinosus.
- Hip muscles