A Lunge is a single-leg or unilateral workout which focuses mainly on building up your body strength and increasing your muscle mass. This exercise primarily works your hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, abdominals, gluteal muscles, and back muscles.
They help ton your body to a great extent, chiefly your core, legs, and butt. They also help in maintaining body stability, posture, and a good range of motion. Lunges are now also a great exercise to reduce your body fat, burn calories and increase your resting body metabolism. In addition, performing lunges helps boost your core strength and lowers the risk of injury while performing daily and athletic activities.
Given below is the perfect guide on how to perform lunges efficiently and proficiently.
How to perform lunges like a pro:
1. Firstly, you should always stand straight with your feet hip-width apart and your core engaged. This is your initial starting position.
2. Then step forward with your right leg and try to put all your body weight forward so that your heel touches the floor first, with your leg at right angles to the ground.
3. Now, keep lowering your body until your right shin is vertical and your right thigh is parallel to the ground.
4. Then lift your right leg to return to the initial starting position.
Repeat with the left leg.
Common Mistakes Made While Making Lunges:
1. You always tend to align your front leg with your back leg, which ultimately reduces stability, and you may fall.
2. You often bend your chest forward while bending your knees, which results in loss of body balance.
3. You often tend to take a very shallow step, which can cause a strain on your knee.
Variations of Lunges:
If you have grown to be more comfortable with the classic lunges, you can always try out some of the variations given below:
1. Walking Lunges
This variation of Lunges is excellent if you are willing to promote more balance and coordination in your body. It mainly works your hips, core, and glutes and is very beneficial in increasing your range of motion to make it easier for you to perform daily activities. In addition, they are genuinely excellent in boosting up your hip flexibility and body functionality.
2. Curtsy Lunges
This version of the lunges exercise is known to be the best of all as it helps in promoting whole-body strength. It mainly works your glutes, hamstrings, calves, and quads along with your inner thigh muscles and is excellent in improving your body stability and balance. Curtsy Lunges engage your glutes, back muscles, and calves efficiently and contributes to reducing your body weight to a great extent. This workout is also advantageous in reducing the risk of injury and stabilizing your ankles.
3. Reverse Lunges
This version of Lunges targets the crucial muscle groups of your lower body- the glutes, hamstrings, quads, and calves. They are an excellent exercise to burn down your calories and thereby reduce body weight. As this workout trains both your legs individually, it helps your body attain proper balance and stability. Reverse Lunges also tend to strengthen your body core, which automatically reduces the risk of injury.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do lunges help in burning body fat?
Yes, performing lunges regularly truly helps in burning your body fat along with many other functions.
2. What are lunges good for?
Lunges are perfect for maintaining body balance and improving body stability and posture. They are excellent in raising your muscle mass, which helps in increasing your body strength. They are also great in increasing your range of motion, which allows you to perform daily activities quickly.
3. How many reps of lunges should I do?
You should do at least 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps each leg, while beginners should begin by doing 2-3 reps of 10-12 reps each leg.
4. Do lunges make your butt bigger?
Yes, Lunges is known to be one of the most beneficial exercises if you aim to build your butt.